When can we have some water?

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

Soul Man

When can we have some water?

Postby Soul Man » Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 pm

The lake’s at a record high.
Lake Greenwood is full and releasing at a rate of 500-900cfs.
All we can get is a stinking 250cfs day after day.
Saw a bunch of boaters scraping there way down the river yesterday. Several had to get out and pull their boats over rocks at the 12th St. bridge.
Seems a shame that we can’t get a little more regular flow, at least during the day.

Anybody know what's up?
Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
Ps. 69:1
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 pm

the lake
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Mon May 19, 2008 1:31 pm

yeah I know, it's the same thing every year. for some reason, they've put the summer stronghold on earlier this year. I believe it's normally in the 500-750cfs range up until later in the summer.
sbroam

Postby sbroam » Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 pm

http://www.thestate.com/letters/story/409317.html

• Lake’s high-water mark not welcome

My husband and I are residents of Chapin, and we live on the beautiful shores of Lake Murray.

However, this beautiful lake has become very treacherous lately. I understand the lake is at the highest level it has been in 40 years. We’ve lived here since 1978 and have never seen it this high.

On recent day, we watched our neighbors’ dock wash away from the high winds and saw another walkway wash away also.

We already have erosion on our lakeside property due to waves washing over our damaged seawall, which has been inundated with parts of other folks’ docks, trash and even a large tire.

Why is SCE&G leaving the lake so high? Is it not aware of the damage it is doing to folks property? I’m sure others would argue that’s the price you pay for living there, but it seems to me to be negligence on SCE&G’s part. What will it take to get the utility to lower the lake so we property owners won’t have so many restless nights and anxious days?

JOYCE ADAMS

Chapin
Soul Man

Postby Soul Man » Mon May 19, 2008 1:56 pm

This is amazing. Lake Murray residents and kayakers agreeing that SCE&G needs to release water?! Bring it on! :surprised:
Save me, O God,

DownStream

Postby DownStream » Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Lake People. She bought a big old house on the lake and it was just right. Pretty soon, she noticed the water level changed.
First the water was was full of weeds, and she called the the SCANA god Poscegidon.
"The water is full of weeds and is ugly" So he lower the water and sprayed chemicals.
Then someone said earthquake, and she called Poscegidon
"The dam might break and the water go away" So he built a new dam but she cried
"The water is too low and the weeds too high" So he promised water soon.
Then the rains came and filled the lake and she cried,
"The water is too high and my lake is in my yard and it is washing away"
And Poscegidon said what do you think this is Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
When you grow up with a Caroline, you see life a bit different.
scoob

Postby scoob » Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 pm

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
swampfox

OMG

Postby swampfox » Mon May 19, 2008 4:06 pm

It is dare I say a "watershed moment" when the two groups can find agreement (pardon the pun). I speculate that the powers that be are holding on to as much water as possible for the coming Holiday weekend.

There will be more boats on the lake this coming weekend than in the Atlantic Fleet probably. Add alcohol to the mix with people that can't drive a boat (much less a car) and you've got a recipe for 911. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a boat hitting a dock because the water level is too hi. How ironic would that be.

Ok, Ok. I know... :deadhorse:

Something has got to give though. I am with you Soul Man, keeping my gear in the car and hoping we will get lucky this week.
Soul Man

Postby Soul Man » Mon May 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Looks like they got the message and turned on the spigot a little. Maybe not too late for some to enjoy a little boat time today. :hurray:
Save me, O God,

bigtime

Postby bigtime » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

I saw this on scfishing report yesterday from their coverage of the bassmasters tourney this weekend....

scfishingreport.com wrote:There was also a very slight southwesterly breeze, around 5 miles per hour, and everywhere there were reminders of just how high the water was. Some car parking spaces at the marina were underwater, and floating docks were pushed to the top of their pilings. At 358.7 Lake Murray is within about a foot of full pool; it has been many years since a spring fishing season has seen this much water in the lake.

http://www.scfishingreport.com/Pages/sc ... 0401319537
sbroam

Postby sbroam » Tue May 20, 2008 2:14 pm

The letter to the editor that I posted said the lake was higher than it has been in 40 years. I am trying to verify that but I cannot find any online historical data. The USGS site which has lake level data (including historical) does not have Lake Murray?!
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/curre ... =county_cd

Anybody know of any other resources where we could see the level history?
scoob

Postby scoob » Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 pm

there is no history....

Lake Murray is a Zen pond.... it only exists in the present tense... striving to achieve it's ideal potential.... ever changing ... the lake is there and it represents all frustration / elation of the local property owners... who need to look beyond their shoreline to find balance in the mighty waters of the Saluda .... for she feedeth and taketh away .... SCE&G is the gate keeper.... the mediator .... and she is angrey, retentive, and bloated ... still the water is there , laughing at the rest of the South East.
Soul Man

Postby Soul Man » Tue May 20, 2008 2:44 pm

YELLOW RANGE SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE AT 3PM TODAY!
Save me, O God,

bigtime

Postby bigtime » Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm

The bad news is, they're only releasing from 3pm to 5pm. That means a.) the water won't get there until around 7pm and b.) it'll only go up to about half of what they release, but I guess it's better than nothing!
crash

Postby crash » Tue May 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Return to “The Parking Lot”