Crash seeks advice

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu May 12, 2005 9:12 am

Don't listen to Joey, He is just trying to sell you something cause he is sponsored. Carbon fiber is too expensive and it is bad for the environment. Carbon fiber leaches into the water system like lead shot from a 12 guage shot gun. It does the same thing to your body. You might as well go lick paint. I know people who paddled with Bent shaft Carbon Fiber paddles. They went insane and never paddled again. I visited one guy in the infirmary and all he did was rock back and forth saying "my wrists are perfect. look at my wrists. My wrists are perfect." It was really sad.

Werners are great and tough. However they splinter, oh how they splinter. Don't get plastic blades they snap in cold water. Don't get aluminum shaft they suck the heat out of your hands and they are heavy. New paddlers do tend to lose paddles and are hard on them, so go cheap. Fiberglass is strong and cheap. However sometimes you can get a deal on the carbon fiber stuff. Then and only then can I give it my seal of approval. Buying new expect at least $180-$220. Buying used just compare the quality to that price range of paddle. Other things that happen to paddles. They fly off vehicles, they get ran over by vehicles, they snap when you forget to turn it going through a slot (aye BigTime). They get lost upon swims. They Jam under rocks. They sometimes don't make it from the parking lot to to the take out vehicle and some young paddler gets a free one. And, Rumor has it that sometimes a paddle might get thrown out of a vehicle because a paddler didn't want to paddle a certain river; kind of a survival instinct. That has never been confirmed.

What you need is...ok I will give you that it doesn't have to be 45 exactly. I didn't really go into it enough. So anything 45 or less. I know some people have tried 0 degree paddles. Thing is, don't go above 45 with like a 60 unless it is all you can afford to get is a 10+ year old Harmony. I guess, while I am at it, most people like 197 cm or less. Don't go with a 205 or something like that unless as stated above, all you can afford is taht 10+ year old Harmony. Harmony paddles are probably the toughest paddles I have seen though, at least the blades are and they don't splinter like a Warner.

45 or less
197 or there abouts
Last edited by Ontime on Thu May 12, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HydroChronic

AT

Postby HydroChronic » Thu May 12, 2005 9:21 am

DUDE I WANT THAT AT PADDLE IF HOMEBOY DECIDES....
to do the right thing and buy a new 194cm carbon/carbon bent shaft with 30 degree feather. I had 2 werners...very satisfied.

That way I can GET HOOKED UP WITH THAT AT PADDLE to use as a back up when I'm repairing/refinishing the old woodie (which by the way is a good way to go too).

Hook a brother up, AT!

8)
Never mistake motion for action.
-Ernest Hemingway
crash

Postby crash » Thu May 12, 2005 10:33 am

rmartz,

on the advise of McGreasy :P I'd like to take your 'glass 197 AT paddle off your hands. When (and where) can we meet? Give me a call @ 353-7565 or 600-7352. My cell's out of range :x while I'm at work but leave vmail...

Thanx
Rodeo Star

Curt Davis!

Postby Rodeo Star » Thu May 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Crash, Curt Davis is a lying, pompous windbag. His opinions on paddles are preposterous (although I do share his hatred of the bent shaft).

He's trying to lead you down the wrong path....one look at footage of Curt's infamous lines down some of the east coast's marginally challenging rapids proves that mr Davis barely knows how to use a paddle at all.....let alone be in a position to suggest one.

Basically Curt is telling you that, unlike himself, YOU are sure to lose your paddle because you are "just starting out". Are you gonna sit there and let him speak to you like that?!?!

And as far as it being bad for the environment, don't listen to that either. Carbon is actually GOOD for the river, what do they use in aquariums to keep them toxin free.....????? Thats right CARBON filtration. The same principle works with a carbon paddle. I've actually installed a cascading water pump in one of my blades to help facilitate this process.

I'll tell you whats bad for the environment, fiberglass splinters from Curt's cheap paddles. I've seen him leave fish, otters, muskrats, and ligers severly mamed and handicapped due to their unfortunate run in with his splintery blades.

Do not fall for Mr. Davis's misleading falsetudes.

Rodeo Star
crash

Postby crash » Thu May 12, 2005 2:14 pm

Rodeo Star,

...only until I get to know some of you guys a little bit.

I'll have to see that cascading water pump. haha

L8r
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu May 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Once again Joey Hall is trying to defame my character in hopes to sway others to buy into his crazy notions. We all know that Nuclear power is produced from Carbon Rods. The spent Carbon Rods must be sealed and burried to keep people like you and me from growing a third elbow. Carbon paddles kill people. Now, Fiberglass splinters are used by birds to reinforce their nests in times of high winds. Nobody wants a bunch of homeless sparrows flying around, smashing into peoples windows and breaking their necks in attemts at finding shelter from the elements. And let me tell you those splinters come in particularly handy when Joey tries to drop in on you in a hole with his total disrguard for other paddlers. He should be ashamed by the way he acts, but he has no shame, no shame at all.

I still have all the paddles I have ever owned. The exception is the Plastic blade I got on the cheap from River Runner many years ago. The blade snapped in Bull Sluice during a class with Ricky. I sure wish I would have had a fiberglass paddle then. I still have the shaft and it is straight.

If what Joey Hall says is true, then where is the 'footy'. It is well known that Joey hall is a compulsive liar.
smalltime

Postby smalltime » Thu May 12, 2005 2:22 pm

good lord, all this paddle talk has me worn out! Dude go with the fiberglass AT, I have one and they are great paddles.

My 2 cent on this is you get used to whatever paddle you start with ( I had a frekin big one! heavy and a pain to roll) you tend to compensate and get better with it until one day you deceide to try a paddle better suited for you and bla-dow your'll never go back. That is a good deal your gettin there, like ontime said first paddles tend to find themselfs in trouble! :wink: However a good paddle hurts to loose! Good luck- Aims
Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it!
redneckjedi

Postby redneckjedi » Thu May 12, 2005 2:29 pm

Hey - what's with all the kayak talk? Isn't this a website for traffic wrecks, free sod, meteor showers, payscales, and other social problems?

Hey Crash - didn't you want some advise on a boat as well? Or should we start a new thread for that one? If Rodeo Star and Ontime are going to duke it out in the parking lot I want tickets.
Ronnie Pender

Onetime

Postby Ronnie Pender » Thu May 12, 2005 2:43 pm

Mr. Davis, I wont stoop to your name-calling level.....you jerk.

You seem to be forgetting an important fact....our bodies are carbon based. This means that, in a pinch, a carbon paddle is, in fact, edible AND nutricious.
Can you eat a fiberglass paddle? NO not unless you want splinters in your gums.

And don't start with that "poor homeless sparrow" routine again. I've never seen these vagabond sparrows you frequently reference in your blasphemous posts.

Carbon is a far superior material for a paddle.

and as Mrs Scarlet said "With god as my witness, I will nevah paddle a bent shaft again"

Rodeo Star
Last edited by Ronnie Pender on Thu May 12, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodeo Star

Ronnie Pender, why are you trying to impersonate me?

Postby Rodeo Star » Thu May 12, 2005 2:46 pm

Ronnie Pender, why are you trying to impersonate me on this board. Perhaps you should of signed in under the name RodeoStar if you were going to pretend you were me.

This isnt the first time I've caught you red handed trying to take credit for my razor sharp wit. If you don't cease and desist from using my identity, I will be forced to have my lawyer contact you.

Carbon based.....bah, I would never come up with something so juvenile as to sugges that a paddle could be eaten........that reveals your little charade right there.

THE REAL Rodeo Star
kickass_ken

Postby kickass_ken » Thu May 12, 2005 3:00 pm

If I have to pull this car over, you will all be cryin. Now shut the HELL up. And for those lucky enough to have jobs...get back to work or give your company a refund.
bgr8ful

Postby bgr8ful » Thu May 12, 2005 3:03 pm

I have to impersonate because I can't keep up with all this lies and deceit. You want honesty? F*ck all of them and make some damn hand paddles! I have some I can sell you for 2 fitty.
Rodeo Star

I want an apology

Postby Rodeo Star » Thu May 12, 2005 3:12 pm

I demand an apology from you Pender.....2bgr8ful my ass!

Signed in under the wrong login name didnt you?

you had some big plan to ruin my reputation i guess and it seems to of backfired.

Now come on and apologize.....go ahead....say it.

R Star
doctorblunt

I've seen fiberglass maimed wildlife...

Postby doctorblunt » Thu May 12, 2005 6:03 pm

this one time I was out playing in the moshpit with my hand paddles (effective, environmentally safe, good for the soul) and, I kid you not, this baby bird comes floating down the river all flailing and coughing. I scooped the helpless critter up with one of my hand paddles (excellent way to rescue drowning land and air animals) and found that it had shards of fiberglass paddle all up in its right wing. I'm happy to report that after several months in an intensive physical rehab facility it looks like that little guy's going to be OK, but he had to learn how to fly left winged and if he hadn't been rescued he woulda drowned. All because of some carelessly misplaced fiberglass.
Plus there's this guy upstairs in ICU with his bones sticking out through some wounds. He wants to leave because he doesn't think he needs skin. He's also upset that we're not allowing him to have a gun with which to protect himself from bears. In talking to the family, it sounds like he was a very rational person before he went to fiberglass.
Now I'm not one to tell other people what to do, but if I were you, Crash, I'd gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon before I bought glass.
McGreevey

liger

Postby McGreevey » Thu May 12, 2005 9:48 pm

liger......it's pretty much my favorite animal

Return to “The Parking Lot”