Took 1,000 Strokes and Forgot to take 1

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

Gnome

Took 1,000 Strokes and Forgot to take 1

Postby Gnome » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:43 pm

X-post from Boof<dot> Com.
I found these words inspiring and think you will as well.

We always hear about the times the gnar was styled, stouts dialed, and drops run clean. Did you hear about that kid so and so, hit a 360 boof out of the womb, off a stout, while throwing a brown.
But what about the times we crash and burn? The times our ego’s would like us to hide under a rock? The times we completely botch our lines, get our asses handed to us in the hole we failed to boof over, or consequently, take the dreaded swim of shame.
There’s a taboo for us to be perfect on the water around our peers but the fact of the matter is, we’re not perfect, we’re learning, and if you want to grow you have to be willing to take risks that may leave you humbled, probing you mentally and physically. Your character as a boater and a human being doesn’t develop from your successes but from your hard knocks and your ability to get up, make adjustments, keep driving forward, and keep faith.
Set your pride at your feet, It's nothing more than a veil for ignorance and therefore stunted growth.
This is the moment that decides whether you are a boater or someone who owns a boat.
If you haven’t yet failed, you’re not trying hard enough.

Booties up, Cheers
-Taylor

:righton:
"Your spirit is the true shield"

--The Art of Peace
STP

Re: Took 1,000 Strokes and Forgot to take 1

Postby STP » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Almost all of my beat downs/swims get videoed! :( But that's okay. It allows people to say " don't go there, that's where Phil got his ass handed to him ". :)
Yes, I still have a little ass left!!

If it feels good, Do it!
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 pm

I've always found in kayaking that 1.) you have to be able to laugh at yourself and 2.) you have to appreciate the sound of laughter from your friends when you are getting your ass handed to you in a dixie cup. Everybody gets served up from time to time, no matter how good you are. As long as it's not a serious situation, it's all just part of the fun of kayaking to me.

And if you ain't then you probably aren't progressing a whole lot.
blokhead

Postby blokhead » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am

xxx
Last edited by blokhead on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:33 am

yeah blok had taken quite a social beating a couple times..and look how he turned out! :surprised:
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I find it funny that people must be counselled to laugh at themselves.
I'd rather be rich than stupid.
STP

Postby STP » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank God I became a pro at laughing at myself long before I started kayaking. :) And I only have one feeling left and it can't be hurt. ;)
Yes, I still have a little ass left!!

If it feels good, Do it!
smalltime

Postby smalltime » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Gnome wrote:X-post from Boof<dot> Com.

There’s a taboo for us to be perfect on the water around our peers but the fact of the matter is, we’re not perfect, we’re learning, and if you want to grow you have to be willing to take risks that may leave you humbled, probing you mentally and physically. Your character as a boater and a human being doesn’t develop from your successes but from your hard knocks and your ability to get up, make adjustments, keep driving forward, and keep faith.
Set your pride at your feet, It's nothing more than a veil for ignorance and therefore stunted growth.
This is the moment that decides whether you are a boater or someone who owns a boat.
If you haven’t yet failed, you’re not trying hard enough.

:righton:

I love this Gnome, so true!! thanks for posting it :dude:
Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it!

Return to “The Parking Lot”