Manchester SF

Since there are several of us boaters who love to mountain bike....
Blackwater

Manchester SF

Postby Blackwater » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Blazer & I went to Manchester State Forest today. I've got some advice to offer other who may wish try it...

Take some cash with you; they don't do debit cards there.

Make sure you have twice as much water as you think you'll need. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the forest. A power bar couldn't hurt, either.

Check your route as best you can with Google Earth beforehand; might save you from getting turned around on the trails like we did, and going more than twice as far as planned.

If you think you should turn back - turn back. If there had been more trestles to ride across, we would have crossed the Wateree at a point fairly close to the confluence of the Congaree.

:doh:

Other wise, it was a fun day. Lots of nifty terrain, but some of it was right on the edge of the bluff. The trail we wound up on was part of the Palmetto trail, and it was obviously for hiking, which we did where appropriate.
Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.

H. P. Lovecraft
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:32 am

Isn't that in Sumter right by the killer 3 loop and all that? If so I've ridden that section of the palmetto trail. I remember one cool part where there's and old creek bed that runs into a big hollowed-out bowl / gully. There's a narrow bridge going across and it's pretty scary to ride.
Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, we took a left instead of a right to get the Campbell Pond loop, which we figured was about our speed. We're going to have to go back to find out. That bridge is one part we walked, and there were others. Not far past that, it goes downhill a bit, then ends in a section that switches back down to the old rail bed. We followed that S/W to the end, which appeared flooded, and had to go back. There are 8 wooden trestles crossing various creeks & sloughs, great for flatwater boating if you can get your boat in there. I think you'd have to paddle into there from someplace else, though, unless you want to carry a kayak 6 miles. Looked gator-y as all hey-ell in there.
Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.

H. P. Lovecraft
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:56 pm

If I remember correctly...when heading out to Campbell Pond you go down a fire road and then onto some singletrack, over a bridge with a drop on the other side...after another short section you come out on a dirt road. You probably went straight across onto the Palmetto Trail (well you did), I want to say the Campbell Pond trail is over across the road to your right..can't remember if there's another road there...I think there's an intersection there or something. Anyhow, you'll know it when you see it because it's singletrack heading off the road and pretty technical right there.

That's a fun piece of trail...several gully rides and such.

Return to “Mountain Biking”