Not mountain biking, but ...

Since there are several of us boaters who love to mountain bike....
Paddlin' Po-Po

Not mountain biking, but ...

Postby Paddlin' Po-Po » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm

This summer I have several weeks off from work. Was thinking about trying to do some hiking and was wondering if anyone has hiked or biked parts of the Palmetto trail? If so, is it worth it or should I try other trails for starters? (I am NOT ready for the Appalatian Trail.!!!) I know a good bit of it is not complete but was looking for any 1st hand info. anyone has.

Thanks,
Ed
Do I look like I eat donuts?
Blood_Runs_Orange

Postby Blood_Runs_Orange » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

I can vouch for the Jocassee Gorges and Blue Wall sections.

I'm not a fan of low-country hiking, but they're easy miles for sure. Pack the skeeter juice.

If you're looking for reasonable trails, how long you looking at going? There's some high altitude ridge running up around shining rock that will be wonderful temperatures in the middle of summer. You could do 2 or 3 days up there and not move out of a 1,000 foot band.
PC LOAD LETTER???
doctorblunt

Postby doctorblunt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 pm

I would second the Shining Rock area...I think it's the Art Loeb trail that goes along the ridge tops. It's beautiful and seems like you've left the southeastern US. Also as was said, there's not a lot elevation change (although you're up very high) and the weather is perfect in the summer time.
I did done some of the Palmetto trail that runs in the Jocassee gorges area one August. It was South Carolina summer hot and humid with some pretty decent climbs...I would consider it more of a late fall, winter, early spring trip.
Paddlin' Po-Po

Postby Paddlin' Po-Po » Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the info. I will probably start on the Awendaw Passage in Charleston so I can feed all of the skeeters. They gotta eat too.
Do I look like I eat donuts?
surflost8

Postby surflost8 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Yea, its the Art Loeb trail. Its something like 34 miles long so you can do it in a few days. I wouldn't say that its easy though. The section close to the fish hatchery is brutal. I think that's the section that goes up to pilot mountain. The other 3 sections are awesome. You hike over some bald mountains giving you great 360 views. I have done several sections of the AT and I wouldn't say the Art Loeb is any easier than it.

Return to “Mountain Biking”