Linville Falls Has Been Run

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:11 pm
Didn't see that it made it here....

http://www.teamdagger.com/profiles/blog ... a-lifetime

And he is being cited for it:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... /309010034

(I think he got his freebee when he directly disobeyed the Cease and Desist from a county LEO while getting ready to huck Toxaway Falls right below the lake on US 64--can't say I disagree with citations, Linville falls is clearly posted in multiple spots, and just disobeying the rules for a photo op jacks up our access concerns in other theatres.)
PC LOAD LETTER???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:35 pm
I would have to say that it was a little more than "just a photo op."
We all live downstream. David Suzuki
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 pm
i also agree that there was more to it than just a photo op. i am pretty sure that if it was just a photo op that they would have had a video camera present as well.
bdk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:09 pm
Looks like Dagger might have taken the article down.
"Your spirit is the true shield"

--The Art of Peace
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:41 pm
I'd venture to say that Pat is not in need, nor in search of any "photo op".

I'd also venture to say that despite the "citation", Pat is proud of this accomplishment, which is really what that guy is about through and through.

I'm sure everyone has already caught this 2 week old news on Boatertalk anyhow...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:46 pm
Pat, if you happen to read this....

Respect.
:notworthy:
"Your spirit is the true shield"

--The Art of Peace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm
Fair enough. Bad ass drop. Balls bigger than any of ours. Done for the action, not the shot. But a stunt of sorts it remains.

But the fact remains...illegal access, absolutely insane by public standards, complete disrespect for long standing Parkway rules (no boating in BRP Waters), blatant disregard for posted regs. Doesn't help the paddler image in, say, the TU community in the Chattooga debate, or in the eyes of the Public Service community who are charged with rescuing some dumbass who gets "inspired." And it appears to have become a habit.

caught this 2 week old news

Sorry to be so far behind the times. It was posted on Aug. 27 through most news outlets. That's, well at least in my world, not quite 2 weeks. Nice hyperbole though. :twobirds:
PC LOAD LETTER???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 pm
sometimes you just gotta get illegal !
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:52 pm
No way this is deserving of respect of any kind among law abiding citizens, or even responsible people in general for that matter. According to what has been written here, he did it to be able to demonstrate that he could do it, which isn't a good enough reason to break the law, risk his life & the lives of those who might have to rescue/recover him, and cause other boaters to lose credibility for what is essentially a stunt no matter how else it may be described. Others who have less skill are now likely to try it so they can say they did it too, and someone may get hurt - or worse. Not very cool or smart just to add something to your list of things you did.

:nono:
Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.

H. P. Lovecraft
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 am
Blackwater wrote:No way this is deserving of respect of any kind among law abiding citizens, or even responsible people in general for that matter. ...which isn't a good enough reason to break the law, risk his life & the lives of those who might have to rescue/recover him...

It would have been great if he could have gotten the parks permission to do it, much like a "stunt man" gets permission to do certain things. Of course, if permission were denied then we'd be right back where we are....

Anyhow, as far as safety / rescue goes, he had a team of folks who are way more qualified in this type of situation on the scene. Most of the news stations didn't bother reporting that information.

I agree there's no denying that he broken the law, but to paint this as a totally irresponsible stunt couldn't be any further from the truth.

Oh, and anyone else stupid enough to huck themselves into that set of drops after seeing it either a.) knows what they are doing or b.) is going to kill themselves some other way soon. You can't protect the ignorant.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 am
The Darwin Awards: Chlorinating the Gene Pool! Culling the Herd. Unnatural Selection? Evolution in Action!

We've become a population of emotional lead people so somebody, some how has to keep the gene pool strong.
When you grow up with a Caroline, you see life a bit different.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:20 am
This is awesome example.

Who would park the car on a busy freeway in heavy fog, for a quickie?

Picture this: A young couple driving on Via Dutra, the major freeway in Brazil with tons of heavy traffic, at 6AM under heavy fog the couple decided to park the car for "dating," according to the charming Google translation. And yes, they parked in the right lane of freeway, not on the shoulder or at a gas station -- and naturally, a huge cargo truck comes by and runs right over the car, immediately killing both inside during the act. Double Double Darwin! Two (2) people making two obviously stupid decisions, and natural selection acts at the very moment the two are reproducing . . . Textbook Darwin Award.
When you grow up with a Caroline, you see life a bit different.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 am
Yeah...I'm "two weeks" out of the loop myself....

Nice hyperbole though. :twobirds:

:lmao:

But here is a link from Canoeing & Kayak online page:

http://canoekayak.com/videos-photos/gallery/first-descent-of-linville-falls//index8.html

That's a sick drop.........drop!!

:foshizzle:
Never mistake motion for action.
-Ernest Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 pm
not quite sure if it falls in the category of a stunt either. linville falls looks to be on par with what the demshitz boys are running these days.

bdk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:33 pm
Not a photo op, yet we have at least 13 pictures online to prove it was done. Breaking the law & risking your life simply to prove a point is totally irresponsible by definition.

:2cents:
Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.

H. P. Lovecraft
Next

Return to The Parking Lot